Sunday, November 8, 2009

I MADE SOAP!

I AM SO EXCITED! I got up very early and went ahead and made my soap-I poured it about an hour ago. It looked great and smells like soap! It looked so good my husband even smiled!

I had trouble deciding between cold or hot processing for my soap but finally decided on clod process. Hot process is ready to use as soon as it cools and hardens. Cold process needs to cure for a few weeks. BUT everything I read on the web says that hot process is a nightmare with soap molds and since cold processed is actually saponified and no longer caustic in a few days (some websites said as little as 24 hours) I think it is much easier all the way around to use the cold process method and rebatch it in small amounts. I need to build up a demand before I am willing to make a whole batch scented plus I want to have some up for sale for the holidays.

My first batch was made with castor oil, olive oil, shea butter, coconut oil and soybean oil. I can't wait to try some out next weekend! I will reabatch some just to see how it feels.

This was fun and really wasn't hard but I did A LOT of research before I did it so I wouldn't waste a bunch of time and oil (and money). I will put up another post after I unmold it and cut it up tomorrow.

No comments: