Sunday, August 15, 2010

Mint Juleps

I am preparing my first mint julep. Right now I'm making a strong infusion of spearmint leaves. When that's ready I will strain out the leaves and disolve an equal amount of sugar to make a syrup. You are supposed to add 1 1/2 teaspoons of syrup over crushed ice, add 2 ounces of bourbon then garnish with fresh mint leaves.

It may seem odd that I've never tried one after all the many decades I've lived in Kentucky. Honestly, I'm not a big liquor drinker and it seems to me that it would taste like cough medecine. Some people say it's a very refreshing drink. So we just bought a bottle of Woodford Reserve last week and my spearmint is going to die from the heat soon, so what the heck!

I'll update the post after my experiment!

****UPDATE****
I am enjoying my mint julep very much. I felt the syrup didn't have much mint flavor so I added 3 drops of spearmint essential oil and I added 2 big spoonfuls of the syrup to the bourbon. I just tastes like sweet bourbon with a mild spearmint aftertaste. Next time I'll try it with Jack Daniels. The woodford Reserve has so much flavor on its own that it is probably masking the mint flavor. But yes-I like it!

No comments: